Clarity

Clarity

Thursday 31 July 2014

Daily: Baking the Ultimate Japanese Ogura Cake

So, I was always aspiring to bake but never really had the courage to do it. Well, that was the case until the neighbour aunty taught me how to bake the Japanese Ogura Cake which I absolutely love because she was always offering some of it to us everytime she made it.

Here's where I began to have the slight confidence I need to start baking. Haha. So, I'm sure you guys are curious of my first adventure! Don't expect my first attempt to look perfect kay :)

Here's the recipe I got from Aunty Dionne, my super nice neighbour aunty! :)

Ingredients:

(A)

1 Whole egg
5 Egg yolks
70 g Fresh Milk
45 g Vegetable Oil
65 g Cake Flour (self raising flour)
1/2 tsp Vanilla Essence

(B)

5 Egg white
80 g Castor Sugar
1 tsp of lemon juice


1. Preheat oven at 170 Celsius for minimum of 15 minutes.

2.  In a large bowl, beat ingedient (B) until stiff peak forms (it doesn't curl down).

3. In a separate bowl, mix 5 Egg yolks, 1 whole egg, vegetable oil and vanilla essence. Beat until small bubble and then add in flour (sieved 3 times) and continue to beat till smooth.

4. Fold and combine both gently. Pour batter into 7 inches cake tin.

4. Bake in the oven using steamed baking (place a water tray in the most bottom level of your oven) for 45 minutes to 60 minutes.

5. Invert cake on standing grill for 10 minutes after completed.


And, now for my outcome!



My cake which is inverted and what you can see is the bottom of the springform pan!



I know it looked pretty bad with cracks and stuff. But, the taste was superb, so don't judge the book by its cover.


Do you guys see a weird layer at the bottom? It tastes like egg tart and its actually the uncooked bottom of the cake. Well, its because my oven is not big enough and the cake ended up not getting baked evenly. I will probably have to cover the top with aluminium foil next time while i let the bottom cook.

Nevertheless, the texture was near perfect for the rest of the cake. Very light and soft, my mum even did an elasticity test with the cake and it was very bouncy! YAY, not too bad for an amateur like me haha.

Alright, that's all, I made a Japanese cotton cheesecake today by the way but that was so terrible that I probably wouldn't be making it anymore in a million years.

No comments:

Post a Comment