Clarity

Clarity

Sunday 21 September 2014

Daily: Baking the Carrot Apple Cake

When in doubt, I bake. When under stress, I bake. 

It's been what I've always wanted to do but recently picked up the courage to start baking. Check my older posts on the Japanese Ogura Cake :)

Anyway, I found my passion in baking and I've been doing lots of researches about different types of cake. My mum mentioned that she loved eating carrot cakes but it was too costly to have even just a slice at those cafes. So, I decided that my next adventure would be carrot cake.

My first attempt wasn't that good because I put too much walnuts and I kinda burnt the top. However, the insides were soft and moist. I realised I needed to probably lower my temperature the next time around.


The mixture before being baked :)


The result with burnt top :/ 


The insides looking soft and moist :) Heavenly!

So that was two weeks ago and today, I decided to bake again but this time, I improvised the recipe and added Granny Smith apples for extra sweetness.

I really wanted to make an apple cake actually, but my mum was mentioning that she missed the carrot cake. Haha, so I chose to combine both and voila!


The perfect golden brown top which isn't hard because I lowered the oven temperature this time wheeee!


Now, doesn't that look heavenly? :) Moist and crumbles in your mouth!


For those who wish to make this too, here's the recipe adapted from my aunty recipe book:

CARROT APPLE CAKE

  • 1/3 cup of cooking oil
  • 2 cups of carrots (shredded)
  • 1 Granny Smith apple (shredded)
  • 1/3 cup of castor sugar
  • 2 cups of self raising flour
  • ½ cup raisin
  • ½ cup chopped walnuts
  • 1 teaspoon of baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon of mixed spice or cinnamon powder (optional)
  • 3 eggs

Pre-heat the oven to 165 degree Celsius (a small oven) or 180 degree Celsius (large oven) and oil the baking pan and line with parchment paper.

In the big mixing bowl, place the sugar, shredded carrots, raisins.
Beat eggs lightly in a separate bowl and add it into the mixing bowl. Add the cooking oil, flour, baking soda and cinnamon powder.

Mixing should be light and fast until all well combined.

Bake in the pre-heated oven of 165/180 degree Celsius (depending on your oven size) for 50 minutes or until the top turn golden brown and when a skewer inserted comes out clean. 

Done! 

Do comment if you made the cake using this recipe and succeeded :) I will be glad to answer any questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment